Earlier this month, ten people were killed and three more injured during a racist, hate-filled, white supremacist act of domestic terrorism at a grocery store that serves a predominantly Black community in Buffalo, NY.
People were attacked while shopping for food and while working to make food available to others.
The attack targeted not just community members, but a community resource — a grocery store that community advocates worked for years to see opened. The store is the only full-service supermarket accessible to the East Side of Buffalo.
We have tried to find the right words to respond. But there are no right words. So instead, we share our commitments.
- We hold ourselves accountable for fighting anti-Black racism & the systems that perpetuate it.
- We reject hate.
- We honor the people and communities harmed by all acts of violence.
- We engage in difficult, necessary conversations to confront racism, inequity, and exclusion.
- We work toward a world where everyone has fair, safe access to the food they need.
Please consider supporting organizations that serve Buffalo communities.
- Feed Buffalo: https://www.feedbuffalo.org/
- Black Love Resists in the Rust: https://blackloveresistsintherust.org/
- Rooted in Love: https://rootedinloveinc.com/donate-to-our-cause/
- Every Bottom Covered: https://www.everybottomcovered.org/
The Nourish California Team