The next few weeks are critical for California. Join nearly 2,500 orgs from across the country in urging the Senate to immediately boost SNAP benefits and to boost key anti-hunger provisions in the next recovery package. Ask your senators to continue their support for Californians who are struggling to put food on the table during the COVID-19 crisis. Call and/or email these members of congress. This should take you just a few minutes.
- Senator Kamala Harris: 202.224.3553
- Senator Dianne Feinstein: 202.224.3841
The COVID-19 crisis and its economic effects are increasing hardship throughout California. Individuals and families are struggling to access the food they need. I appreciate the temporary relief congress has already delivered, but more action is needed, and soon. Without action, key relief measures will begin to turn off as early as July 2020 and many of our friends and neighbors will struggle as the economic downturn continues.
The next recovery package must include:
- An increase in the maximum SNAP benefit by 15 percent for the remainder of the economic downturn, an increase the SNAP monthly minimum benefit from $16 to $30, and suspension of existing or soon to be implemented federal rules that would take away SNAP benefits from those in need. These changes will help families put food on the table and infuse much-needed spending into the economy.
- An extension and expansion of the Pandemic EBT program to ensure it reaches all children missing out on meals provided through the federal nutrition programs at school and child care and enable this powerful program to operate through the summer and next school year.
- An extension of waivers that have enabled WIC to remotely respond to the COVID-19 crisis, onboard new families by phone, and expand allowable WIC food items.
- Financial relief for low- and moderate-income households through expansions in the Earned Income Tax Credit, stimulus payments, and the creation of an emergency assistance grant fund to help people left out of earlier aid, including our immigrant friends and neighbors.
- TY @SenKamalaHarris and @SenFeinstein for working hard to keep our state strong. Please continue prioritizing the things Californians need–like access to food–throughout the pandemic and until the economy recovers. #BoostSNAPNow #P-EBT #WIC #EITC
Data to Support Your Advocacy
- What if SNAP increased by 15%? An analysis by county and congressional district.
Contact Melissa Cannon at 510.433.1122, or visit our Federal Advocacy page.