Food with Care (SB 1481) Passes Senate Appropriations, Moves on to the Senate Floor!
We are very pleased to share that today, SB 1481 (Becker): Food with Care passed out of the Senate Appropriations Committee Suspense File on a unanimous, 5 - 0 vote. The bill now moves on to the Senate Floor. Join us in telling the Senate to vote 'aye' to support free meals for kids in child care, and fair pay for providers.
Here are 4 ways to support Food with Care:
1) Call and/or Email Your Senator
If you don't know who your State Senator is, don't worry, it's easy! Just click here to find your representative by entering your street address. Then click on the name of your Senator and you will be taken to their website where you can find their contact information.
Hi, my name is _____ and I live in ______. I’m calling to urge Senator ______ to vote "aye" on SB 1481 on the Senate Floor. SB 1481 is a bill that will ensure all kids in preschool and child care receive free healthy meals, and that child care providers are fairly compensated for meal service. Please support SB 1481. Thank you. [Or choose one or more of the following reasons or tell them your own]
- To combat child hunger and help every student succeed, California recently became the first state in the nation to expand free meals to all K-12 students. It's time to make a similar investment in our youngest learners. SB 1481 would bring parity between child care and school-based meal programs.
- Child care providers take the hit financially for federal rules that don’t take into account California's high cost of living. SB 1481 would ensure fair pay for providers serving meals to kids in their care.
- Funding child care meal service is a preventative measure to ensure that children’s most basic needs are met during this crisis and to support the stability of our child care system.
- Although costs have gone up, reimbursements have not and the cost of producing child care meals continues to exceed the average federal per-meal reimbursement.
2) Show your support on social media!
Tweet or post your support and tag key decision makers, especially Governor Newsom (@CAGovernor) Senate President pro Tem Atkins (@SenToniAtkins), Speaker Rendon (@Rendon63rd), and Budget Committee Chairs Senator Nancy Skinner (@NancySkinnerCA), and Assemblymember Phil Ting (@PhilTing).
- #SB1481 will ensure free meals for kids in child care and fair pay for providers. #FoodwithCare bit.ly/38axFDN. Plz support SB 1481 @CAGovernor @SenToniAtkins @Rendon63rd @NancySkinnerCA @PhilTing
- #SB1481 creates a universal meals program for our youngest learners. #FoodwithCare bit.ly/38axFDN @CAGovernor @SenToniAtkins @Rendon63rd @NancySkinnerCA @PhilTing
- Funding child care meal service is a preventative measure to ensure that children’s most basic needs are met. Support Food with Care @CAGovernor @SenToniAtkins @Rendon63rd @NancySkinnerCA @PhilTing
- Support SB 1481, a wise investment in the health and achievement of our youngest learners. #FoodwithCare bit.ly/38axFDN. @CAGovernor @SenToniAtkins @Rendon63rd @NancySkinnerCA @PhilTing
3) Sign on to support the Food with Care Budget Request
Fill out this short form to tell state budget leaders to fund Food with Care.
4) Sign the Food with Care petition to Governor Newsom
Fill out this short form to tell Governor Newsom to fund Food with Care.