Food with Care (SB 1481) Passes Senate 35-0, Moves on to Assembly!
We are thrilled to announce that today, SB 1481 (Becker): Food with Care passed off of the Senate Floor on a unanimous, 35 - 0 vote. The bill now moves on to the Assembly.
We thank Senator Becker for his strong leadership on child care nutrition and Food with Care. We also express our deep appreciation for our cosponsors, the CACFP Roundtable, and our broad and diverse coalition of supporters. Together, we've brought California one step closer to free meals for all kids in child care and fair pay for providers. Thank you for your support and advocacy.
Our work is far from done! Join us in telling State Budget Leaders to include Food with Care in the final state budget package. Take action and make your voice heard today!
Here are 4 ways to support Food with Care:
1) Call and/or Email State Budget Leaders
Call or email the following key members and the Governor.
- Governor Gavin Newsom (916) 445-2841
- Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon (916) 319-2063
- Senate President pro Tem Toni Atkins 916) 651-4039
- Assembly Budget Chair Phil Ting (916) 319-2019
- Senate Budget Chair Nancy Skinner (916) 651-4009
When your done, also contact your own Assemblymember and Senator. If you don't know who your representatives are, don't worry, it's easy! Just click here to find your representative by entering your street address. Then click on the name of your representatives and you will be taken to their website where you can find their contact information.
Hi, my name is _____ and I live in ______. I’m calling to urge [Representative Name] ______ to support Food with Care in the state budget package. Food with Care will ensure all kids in preschool and child care receive free healthy meals, and that child care providers are fairly compensated for meal service. Please support Food with Care. Thank you. [Or choose one or more of the following reasons or tell them your own]
- To combat child hunger and help every student succeed, California recently became the first state in the nation to expand free meals to all K-12 students. It's time to make a similar investment in our youngest learners. Food with Care would bring parity between child care and school-based meal programs.
- Child care providers take the hit financially for federal rules that don’t take into account California's high cost of living. Food with Care would ensure fair pay for providers serving meals to kids in their care.
- Funding child care meal service is a preventative measure to ensure that children’s most basic needs are met during this crisis and to support the stability of our child care system.
- Although costs have gone up, reimbursements have not and the cost of producing child care meals continues to exceed the average federal per-meal reimbursement.
2) Show your support on social media!
Tweet or post your support and tag key decision makers, especially Governor Newsom (@CAGovernor) Senate President pro Tem Atkins (@SenToniAtkins), Speaker Rendon (@Rendon63rd), and Budget Committee Chairs Senator Nancy Skinner (@NancySkinnerCA), and Assemblymember Phil Ting (@PhilTing).
- #FoodwithCare will ensure free meals for kids in child care and fair pay for providers. bit.ly/38axFDN. Plz support #FoodwithCare @CAGovernor @SenToniAtkins @Rendon63rd @NancySkinnerCA @PhilTing
- #FoodwithCare creates a universal meals program for our youngest learners. #FoodwithCare bit.ly/38axFDN @CAGovernor @SenToniAtkins @Rendon63rd @NancySkinnerCA @PhilTing
- Funding child care meal service is a preventative measure to ensure that children’s most basic needs are met. Support #FoodwithCare @CAGovernor @SenToniAtkins @Rendon63rd @NancySkinnerCA @PhilTing
- Support #FoodwithCare, a wise investment in the health and achievement of our youngest learners. #FoodwithCare bit.ly/38axFDN. @CAGovernor @SenToniAtkins @Rendon63rd @NancySkinnerCA @PhilTing
3) Sign on to support the Food with Care Budget Request
Fill out this short form to tell state budget leaders to fund Food with Care.
4) Sign the Food with Care petition to Governor Newsom
Fill out this short form to tell Governor Newsom to fund Food with Care.