P-EBT Update: California’s Plan is Approved
10 Things to Know About P-EBT in California
1. In early June, the United States Department of Agriculture approved California’s full plan to distribute Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) benefits to eligible children.
2. The approved plan covers the period October 2020 through May 2021. State administrators will now submit a plan amendment to include the summer of 2021.
3. There is no application for P-EBT.
Eligible children will receive P-EBT benefits automatically. P-EBT cards will be sent by mail.
4. P-EBT cards are safe to use. Receiving P-EBT will not hurt a child’s immigration status or the immigration status of their family members.
Any family whose children receive P-EBT benefits can use them.
5. For eligible young children (under age six), P-EBT cards will arrive during the summer.
P-EBT cards will likely start arriving for eligible young children in July. Due to the number of eligible young children in our state and daily limits on producing & mailing P-EBT cards, not all children will receive P-EBT cards at the same time.
6. For eligible school-age children, P-EBT cards will arrive during the fall.
P-EBT cards will likely start arriving for eligible school-age children in October. Due to the number of eligible school-age children in our state and daily limits on producing & mailing P-EBT cards, not all children will receive P-EBT cards at the same time.
7. California’s new P-EBT website will launch on June 22, 2021.
For families, the website will provide details about P-EBT eligibility, FAQs, updates, and other program information. For other stakeholders, such as schools and community-based organizations, the website will offer ready-to-use materials and templates to inform families about P-EBT. The website and materials will be available in at least six languages: English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Arabic, and Cantonese.
8. Do you need assistance with a P-EBT card you’ve already received?
Please call the P-EBT Helpline at (877) 328-9677. Helpline support is available in multiple languages.
9. If you were expecting a P-EBT card for the 2019-20 school year and didn’t receive it, you can:
- Call the P-EBT Helpline: (877) 328-9677
- Enter your language option
- Wait through the card number prompt two times
- Press 1 for lost/stolen/damaged cards
- Press 1 for P-EBT benefits
- Press 1 for general questions
- You will then be routed to an agent who can assist
The Helpline is working to streamline these steps. We’ll share an update once we know the options have changed.
10. Want to read more right now? California’s newly approved plans for young children and school-age children are posted here.
Please stay tuned! We will continue to share P-EBT news, updates, and information.