Now that SB 464 (Hurtado)—Food for All has passed its first legislative hurdle, the bill is up for discussion in the Senate Appropriations Committee. Join us in asking the Senate Appropriations Committee to move the bill on to the Senate Floor!
Here are two ways to support Food4All:
1) Call and/or email the following Senators. Prioritize your outreach to Senator Anthony Portantino (D-Glendale, Burbank, Pasadena), the Chair of the Committee on Appropriations, and Senate President pro Tem Toni Atkins (D-San Diego). This should take you just a few minutes.
Senator Anthony Portantino, Chair (D-25) (916) 651-4025
Senate President pro Tempore Toni Atkins D-39) (916) 651-4039
Please also spend a few minutes contacting your Senator if they are listed below as members of the committee:
- Patricia Bates, Vice Chair (R-36) (916) 651-4036
- Steven Bradford (D-35) (916) 651-4035
- Brian W. Jones (R-38) (916) 651-4038
- Senator Sydney Kamlager (D-30) (916) 651-4030
- Senator John Laird (D-17) (916) 651-4017
- Bob Wieckowski (D-10) (916) 651-4010
Hi, my name is _____ and I live in ______. I’m calling to urge Senator ______ to support SB 464, a bill that will create a more equitable food assistance system that no longer excludes many immigrant Californians. SB 464 will modernize the California Food Assistance Program to provide vital nutrition benefits to households with low-income that are excluded from CalFresh solely due to their immigration status. Please support SB 464. Thank you. [Or choose one or more of the following reasons or tell them your own]
- The pandemic is exacerbating hardship across the state, particularly among low-wage undocumented immigrant workers and their families.
- Many immigrant workers risk COVID-19 exposure to grow, harvest and process the food that feeds California, the nation, and the world. Yet their wages are so low they struggle to afford the food their own families need.
- Covid-19 has not been and won’t be the last crisis that significantly impacts our state. We need a permanent solution that addresses our inequitable food assistance system so we don’t have to turn to emergency measures every time there is a natural disaster or other event that causes an increase in the need for food assistance.
- Investment in providing food assistance to all California immigrants helps all communities thrive, improves our economy, and helps us weather economic downturns.
- #SB464 will ensure that all Californians – regardless of immigration status – have the food they need for themselves and their families. #Food4All #NoExceptionsNoExclusions #ImmigrantsAreEssential bit.ly/2NyAPaf. Plz support SB 464 @Portantino @SenToniAtkins
- Many immigrants are unjustly excluded from California’s nutrition assistance programs. #SB464 will change this & strengthen CA’s nutrition safety net for all Californians, regardless of immigration status. #Food4All #NoExceptionsNoExclusions #ImmigrantAreEssential bit.ly/2NyAPaf @Portantino @SenToniAtkins
- Even before COVID19, immigrant communities in CA struggled to get the food they need. #SB464 will strengthen CA’s nutrition safety net for immigrants. #Food4All #NoExceptionsNoExclusions #ImmigrantsAreEssential bit.ly/2NyAPaf @Portantino @SenToniAtkins
No one should go hungry in the great state of California. Food is an essential part of a full and healthy life. Regardless of income, immigration status, race or ethnicity, every child, adult and family should have adequate access to food that they need.
Join the Food4All Coalition
Stay connected to the campaign and help us build momentum for #Food4All. Join Today!