SB 600 (Menjivar) Needs Your Support to Pass Senate Appropriations
Published on Apr 18, 2023 in Adults, CalFresh, Child Nutrition, Older Adults, State Legislation
Now that SB 600 (Menjivar) has passed out of its policy committee, the bill is up for discussion in the Senate Appropriations Committee. Join us in asking the Senate Appropriations Committee to move the bill on to the Senate Floor and one step closer to raising the monthly minimum benefit to $50.
Here are two easy ways to support SB 600:
1) Call and/or Email These Senators
- Senator Anthony Portantino, Chair (D-25) (916) 651-4025
- Senate President pro Tempore Toni Atkins (D-39) (916) 651-4039
Please also contact your Senator if they are listed below as members of the committee (find your rep here):
- Brian W. Jones, Vice Chair (R-40) (916) 651-4040
- Angelique Ashby (D-08) (916) 651-4008
- Steven Bradford (D-35) (916) 651-4035
- Kelly Seyarto (R-32) (916) 651-4032
- Aisha Wahab (D-10) (916) 651-4010
- Scott Wiener (D-11) (916) 651-4011
Hi, my name is _____ and I live in ______. I’m calling to urge Senator ______ to support SB 600, a bill that will raise the CalFresh minimum benefit from $23 per month to $50 per month. Please support SB 600 in Senate Appropriations. Thank you.
- Many Californians need more help putting food on the table, We need to raise the CalFresh minimum benefit from $23 per month to $50 per month.
- Pandemic-era CalFresh benefit boosts expired abruptly in March. SB 600 is one way to help mitigate the harm of those drastic cuts.
- Many older adults and people with disabilities only receive $23 a month in food assistance. SB 600 will raise that to $50.
2) Show your support on social media!
Tweet or post your support and tag key members, especially Senator Portantino (@Portantino) and Senate President pro Tem Toni Atkins (@SenToniAtkins)
- #SB600 will ensure no one receives les than $50 CalFresh per month. Plz support SB 600 @Portantino @SenToniAtkins
- #SB600 will help more Californians afford the foods they need. Plz support SB 600 @Portantino @SenToniAtkins
- Many CalFresh recipients only receive $23 per month. That's not enough to afford even the basics. #SB600 will raise the minimum benefit to $50/month. Plz support SB 600 @Portantino @SenToniAtkins