Opening: Policy Advocate
Nourish California has an opening for a Policy Advocate.
Salary: $70,000 - $85,000 Annually
Job Type: Full-time (37.5 hours)
Reports to: Senior Advocate
Job Description: Link
Closing Date: 4/28/2023
Join a dynamic team working to make our state an equitable place for all who call it home. We work with communities to guarantee that children, older adults, immigrants, and all Californians with low income can access the food they need and want.
California. All Nourish California staff must live and work in the Golden State. While remote work may be an option, it is only an option within California. Travel requirements are included in the job description.
What You'll Be Doing
- Expanding engagement in policy advocacy campaigns with organization partners, community members, and policymakers.
- Building authentic relationships with people and communities and engaging in genuine dialogue and collaboration.
- Working with diverse advocates and community members to gather and amplify stories, upholding and implementing our organization's storytelling policy;
- Creating and distributing campaign materials such as factsheets, talking points, calls to action, and more.
- Generating compelling social media content;
- Analyzing data and synthesizing research to build the case for policy change;
- Advocating alongside people with lived experience with poverty.
We're Looking for Individuals Who Are...
- Compassionate, collaborative, open-minded, empathetic, and equity-focused;
- Ethical and values-driven;
- Compelling communicators;
- Comfortable working independently and collaboratively;
- Committed to approaching people and work with humility; and
- Dedicated to learning, personal growth, and change.
And we’re looking for someone with these very important skills.
A Few Reasons You May Love Working With Us
- You will be part of a larger movement to eliminate inequities and seek justice through policy change.
- You will help drive sustainable change — our policy victories have a lasting impact on the lives of our fellow Californians.
- You will grow your skills and develop deep expertise to help you advance within our organization or join our impressive alumni working in influential government and nonprofit positions across the country.
- You will join a team that is focusing on the health and well-being of our staff — and committed to doing more for our employees.
We are looking for values-aligned team members who are eager to advance our mission. Our values:
People. People are the core of our work and the power behind it
Equity. All Californians should share fairly in the resources of our state and nation.
Collaboration. We learn, share, build trust, and take action with others, both within and outside of our team, in order to achieve common goals.
Integrity. We are beholden solely to our mission, vision, and values.
Read our values descriptions.
- Applicants must complete an online application. This form will provide applicants an opportunity to answer brief questions about advocacy skills, upload a resume and cover letter, and provide optional statements on lived experience related to our mission and/or perspectives on justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be reviewed by staff. Select applicants will be screened in a 30-minute video discussion. Advancing candidates will participate in an all-staff interview. A short exercise may also be required.
- Generally, all applicants will get a response on the status of their application as their application is being processed. For applications arriving closer to the closing date of 4/28/2023 or those requiring additional review, we aim to respond by 5/19/2023. Anyone who spends time with us in a screening or interview receives a personal follow-up by phone.