Job Description Policy Advocate
Reports to Senior Advocate
Duties and Responsibilities
While daily activities vary in this dynamic position, they generally include developing, advocating, and implementing policy solutions; analysis; research; writing for a variety of audiences; and speaking with a range of stakeholders. They often include:
- Crafting and delivering persuasive arguments; identifying key messages and messengers; mapping power and influence; and otherwise advocating to increase access to nutritious, affordable food for Californians with low income;
- Engaging with diverse groups of stakeholders, including, but not limited to: individuals experiencing hunger and food insecurity; community-based organizations; researchers; advocacy organizations; government administrators; and elected officials;
- Gathering stories and perspectives; analyzing data; and synthesizing research or other evidence to inform proposed and existing policies;
- Drafting of policy memos, factsheets, reports, and other written publications as well as summarizing content into visually appealing materials for a variety of audiences;
- Actively representing Nourish California at state and local meetings relevant to our mission, priorities, and agendas;
- Coordinating special projects, including local and statewide educational and advocacy events (in-person and virtual); and
- Carrying out grant deliverables and contributing to grant proposals and grant reports.
To carry out the above responsibilities, same-day travel within the state will eventually be required. Occasional overnight travel will be required. Travel requirements will vary by project and assignments and are not always predictable.
Relevant skills and experience include advocacy, leadership, communication, strategic thinking, and a strong commitment to improving nutrition, health, and well-being for low-income Californians.
Required skills and experience
- At least five years of relevant work experience. Relevant coursework may contribute to this requirement -OR-
A graduate degree in a relevant field, such as public policy, public health, social welfare, or nutrition and at least two years of relevant work experience;
- Excellent written communication skills;
- Excellent verbal communication skills;
- Problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills;
- The ability to work independently, coordinate projects, and respond appropriately to multiple priorities; and
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, Google Docs, and Internet browsers.
Desired skills and experience
Demonstrated skills and experience with respect to
- Strategic communications or media advocacy;
- Policymaker education and lobbying;
- Community organizing and engagement;
- Policy-relevant research and data analysis;
- Data visualization and mapping
- Advocacy experience with poverty, health, nutrition, or a related social movement;
- Understanding of issues affecting low-income populations;
- Experience working with elected officials and/or administrators in education, health, or human services;
- Working knowledge of legislative and/or government decision- and budget-making processes;
- Public speaking experience;
- An understanding of and a willingness to address institutional and structural racism, implicit and explicit bias, and their impacts on underresourced and underrepresented communities;
- Experience incorporating the perspectives of multiple communities, particularly under-resourced and under-represented communities, in policy, programmatic, or operational decisions;
- Experience considering the impacts of proposed and existing policies or programs on multiple communities, particularly under-resourced and underrepresented communities
- Experience with GoogleApps and WordPress; Experience with digital advocacy a plus;
- Demonstrated fluency and/or literacy in more than one language a plus.
The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $80,000. We offer outstanding benefits, including dependent coverage.
Nourish California is actively working to build a talented team that’s inclusive of diverse experiences and communities. Underrepresented individuals and those with a personal connection to our mission are encouraged to apply. All applicants are given careful consideration.