Interested in board service?
As a nonprofit organization, we rely on the time and talents of our Board of Directors to guide and advance our mission. We’re looking to expand our board membership in order to:
- Bring new expertise and experience to the organization. While we may add members with connections to food policy, we’re most interested in harnessing skills and expertise from candidates with backgrounds in nonprofit management, finance, outreach and networking, and fund development.
- Put our values into action. We value lived experience. We understand that lived experiences with hunger, poverty, and injustice can provide powerful insights to our organization and to broader movements. With this in mind, applicants have the option to share their lived experiences that are relevant to our mission and work.
- Build a board that reflects the diversity of California. We’re looking to strengthen the board by increasing geographic representation, especially of inland communities and communities experiencing persistent poverty. Given harmful inequities that exist across race/ethnicity, economic status, gender, sexual orientation, ability, age, and other social identities, we commit to building a board that’s inclusive of the diverse individuals who call California home.
Our Board Member Job Description captures all expectations of board members. Here are a few basics:
- Participate in quarterly board meetings. We hold four meetings a year: three by video conference and one in person.
- Give what you can. We expect that all board members donate to the organization—with no minimum amount required.
- Share your time and talents. We hope that members share their expertise by serving on one of our board committees.
Next Steps for Service
If you’re interested in serving, please complete the online application and include the following:
- Cover Letter. Send us a few paragraphs describing why you’re interested in board service with Nourish California.
- A Resume/CV. Tell us about your skills, experience, and interests.
A board committee will review your materials prior to recommending candidates for consideration by the full board. We’ll keep you posted during this review.