Opening: Communications Coordinator
Nourish California has an opening for a new Communications Coordinator position.
Salary: $65,000 - $80,000 Annually
Job Type: Full-time (37.5 hours)
Reports to: Director of Engagement or Senior Advocate
Job Description: Link
Closing Date: 8/12/2022
Join a dynamic team of policy advocates to help plan and execute communications strategies that advance our priorities. We work to ensure fair access to food, prioritizing our fellow Californians who experience the greatest need and face the starkest inequities.
California. Our Board and staff live and work in the Golden State. Travel requirements are included in the job description.
What You'll Be Doing
- Coordinating the development of compelling, visually appealing content (we use Canva) to reach a variety of audiences via social media and other digital platforms;
- Identifying key messages and messengers for successful communications;
- Working with advocates and community members to gather stories, upholding and implementing our organization's storytelling policy;
- Communicating (often through our CRM, EveryAction) with diverse groups of stakeholders;
- Developing media statements and press releases;
- Helping to coordinate campaign-related press events (in-person and virtual);
- Coordinating special communications projects, including local and statewide educational and advocacy events (in-person and virtual); and more!
We're Looking for Individuals Who Are...
- Compassionate, collaborative, open-minded, empathetic, and equity-focused;
- Ethical and independent;
- Compelling communicators;
- Comfortable working within a small and mighty team that has a big reach;
- Committed to approaching people and work with humility; and
- Dedicated to learning, personal growth, and change.
And we’re looking for someone with these very important skills.
A Few Reasons You May Love This Job
- You will help shape a new position at an established organization eager to improve its communications and reach.
- You will help drive sustainable change - our policy victories have a lasting impact on the lives of our fellow Californians.
- You will grow your skills and develop deep expertise to help you advance within our organization or join our impressive alumni working in influential government and nonprofit positions across the country.
- You will join a team that has stuck together and supported each other in tough times - including in a global pandemic.
- People. Our work puts people at the center. While many of our day-to-day activities happen behind the scenes, our work is grounded in the experiences and insights of Californians directly affected by poverty and food insecurity.
- Equity. Fair access to food is about fair access to health, opportunity, and power. Our work aims to dismantle racism, economic inequity, and other social injustices that perpetuate food insecurity and undermine health and happiness.
- Collaboration. Our work is part of something bigger. We depend on—and contribute to—a dynamic community of changemakers who know that California should be a place of wellbeing and opportunity for all.
- Applicants must complete an online application. This form will provide applicants an opportunity to answer brief questions about communications and coordination skills, upload a resume and cover letter, and provide optional statements on lived experience related to our mission and/or perspectives on justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be reviewed by staff. Select applicants will be screened in a 30-minute video discussion. Advancing candidates will participate in an interview. A short writing or other communications exercise may also be required.
- Generally, all applicants will get a response on the disposition of their application as their application is processed. For applications arriving closer to the posting close date of 8/12/2022 or those requiring additional review, we aim to respond by 8/31/2022. Anyone who spends time with us in a screening or interview receives a personal follow-up by phone.
- No phone calls, please. Questions that can’t be answered by information on the website can be directed to .